Information Technology & Communications
Information Technology Center
8001 Independence Blvd.
Baton Rouge, LA 70806-6411
Director: Jeya Selvaratnam
Phone Number: 225-925-6226
Fax Number: 225-925-4019
The mission of the Information Technology and Communications Section of Management & Finance is to provide data processing services and communications support to the Department of Public Safety.
Information Technology consists of several distinct units:
Administrative Support/Special Projects
This area includes:
- IT Budget Tracking
- IT Contract Processing
- IT Procurement
- Initiative Development and Support
- Legislation Tracking
- Special Requests
- Administrative Support Function (Budget, Contracts & Procurement)
- Responsible for all Information Technology Budget Preparations requests including the Communication budget, Grants and yearly continuation budget.
- Works with OIT (Office of Information Technology) to get large IT procurements approved (IT-10) Process.
- Oversees contract development and procurement of all Information Technology and Communication equipment and professional services.
- Administrative Support Function (Initiative Development and Support New Development)
- Design, development, testing, and conversion of the existing Office of Motor Vehicles Legacy system into a new web based system using current technology.
- Create and maintain the ExpressLane website to enhance customer service via web transactions.
- Support DPS Intranet & Internet Websites.
- Support new development using Sharepoint technologies department wide.
- Working to improve customer service out in the field via technology advancements.
This area is responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining business application systems.
- Design, develop, test, and maintain computer programs that support DPS&C
- Consists of employees with a wide variety of technical programming experience
- Support - Driver’s License/DMB, Vehicle Registration, Gaming, Imaging, LSP Emergency Operations Center (EOC), Criminal History, LEMS, IRP, Financial Systems, Fire Marshal, LP Gas, AFIS, etc.
- Programming languages include Lotus Script, Java, .NET, COBOL, BIS Mapper, CICS, C++
- Programming support personnel appreciate the work you do in the field and we will continue to provide technology solutions to support you.
Help Desk/Desktop Support
- Provide 24/7 Level 1 support for department personnel, local law enforcement, and outside agencies
- Monitor critical network and systems operations
- Assist other sections with adds, moves, and changes
- Perform Data entry
- Create work order tickets if additional support is needed from Software, Communications, or Applications.
- Call Volumes - Average 5000 – 6000 monthly
- Perform installation, configuration and support for statewide department desktop, laptop, and peripheral devices
- Perform agency software testing and configuration
- Perform level two diagnoses and resolution
- Perform agency additions, moves, and changes as requested
- Perform inventory management
- Average 30 – 40 user requests monthly
- Average 10 - 15 trouble tickets daily
Radio Communications is responsible for project build-out, administration, management and maintenance of the statewide P25 700 MHz wireless communication system, today known as LWIN, the Louisiana State Police Motorola 800 MHZ Smartzone radio system, and the State Police statewide wireless data communications system including infrastructure. Radio Communications supports, programs and maintains all LSP mobiles, portables, base radios, MDT terminals, digital and analog speed tracking devices, video conference, and peripherals. Personnel performs tactical asset readiness and deployment functions for the LSP Mobile Command Posts, mobile tower trailers, and voice/data satellite backhaul systems and auxiliary equipment. 24 x 7 on-call technical support for these networks:
- 104 Radio Communication Tower Sites in Full Operation Statewide
- 6 Operational Trailers for emergency response
- 58,600 active statewide system users
- 5,086 active Radio Talkgroups maintained.
- 353 agencies currently in the system (First responders, state, local and federal agencies)
- Currently maintaining 95% Statewide Coverage Area reliability.
Email Address - firstname.lastname@example.org
This area is responsible for supporting all Servers, Mainframe and networking issues in the Department.
- Maintaining, administration, and support of 228 servers
- Maintaining, administration, and support of 2 mainframes
- Some of the systems include: LEMS, CCH, AFIS, Imaging, Tivoli Backup Services, BlackBerry, Active Directory, DB2, and Websphere.
- Statewide Wide Area Network (WAN) and Local Area Network (LAN) infrastructures.
- Internet traffic monitoring and content filtering
- LSP wireless access (NetMotion)
- LSP Headquarters video surveillance and security access systems
The Information Technology Section does not provide data directly to the public. The Section provides services to the various offices of the Department of Public Safety. To obtain data, please contact the office that maintains the information you seek.
Information Technology personnel are responsible for the design, development, operational support, and maintenance of applications and software on all mainframes, servers, personal computers, laptops and radio communications. This includes applications to support the Office of State Police criminal history and gaming regulations, the Office of Motor Vehicle driver and vehicle registration, the Office of State Fire Marshal licensing and regulation, and the Liquefied Petroleum Gas Commission permitting and inspecting.
Information Technology responsibilities include:
• Applications systems analysis, design, programming and maintenance
• Operational support including computer operations, system software support, database administration, and help desk
• Procurement, installation, and hardware, software, and network support for personal computers, laptops and radios
• End user support encompassing consulting, planning, training and education